Sugar is everywhere. While carbohydrates are vital for providing quick energy, refined sugars can be utterly addictive.
Many people struggle with diets because their brains fixate on sugary treats, sapping them of their willpower.
What if there was a way an effective way to control the way our minds respond to such cravings?
Researchers Dr. Matthew Potthow and Dr. Matthew Gillum are studying the hormone that may very well be responsible for your sweet tooth.
With sufficient understanding of this hormone, we may one day be able to help overweight or otherwise vulnerable patients overcome the overwhelming allure of sugar-packed snacks.
Video Link: https://vimeo.com/465622285
Video Download: Researchers Discover Brain Cells Associated With Sugar Cravings
Video Stream: Researchers Discover Brain Cells Associated With Sugar Cravings
The United States has a serious obesity epidemic, and it's estimated that over 30 million Americans suffer from Type-2 Diabetes. By understanding what makes sugar and carbs so irresistible, we can help individuals become more resilient to temptation in the future.
FGF21 – The Sweettooth Hormone
The hormone is known as Fibroblast Growth Factor-21 (FGF21). This hormone is intricately involved in energy storage and utilization, connected to insulin sensitivity, body composition, and energy stabilization.
Have you ever noticed that certain folks are more drawn to sweets than others? Hormones certainly play a strong role in these interpersonal differences, and FGF21 activity is likely a key to understanding why.
One variant of the FGF21 gene has been connected to an increased proclivity toward sweets. This variant is active in nearly 45% of human beings. Individuals with this variant of FGF21 are said to have the Sweet Tooth Behavioral Phenotype.
Mapping FGF21 Activity
While researchers have known about FGF21 for some years now, they had no idea how it interacted with the brain—until now. FGF21 is secreted by the liver when available sugar levels increase. FGF21 travels to the brain to suppress the desire for sugar and sweetness.
Drs. Potthow and Gillum have now pinpointed the location in the brain that responds to FGF21. They released their findings in the publication Cell Metabolism.
It has been difficult to map out how FGF21 acts on the brain because it takes very small amounts of the hormone to elicit a response.
With careful analysis and precise instruments, the researchers discovered that FGF21 sends signals to the ventromedial hypothalamus, activating specific neurons in the region, increasing their reactivity with glucose. It also acts on glutamatergic neurons to suppress the desire to taste sweetness.
The Future of FGF21 as a Prescription Therapy
The discovery of FGF21 and the mapping of its activity have led to attempts to weaponize the hormone as a medical treatment for diabetes and obesity.
As we learn more about how FGF21 affects psychology and physiology, we can continue to refine its use as a Hormone Therapy Option and learn different behaviors controlled by FGF21, which might help to control how much sugar a person eats.
- The Importance of Good Sleep for Healthy HGH Levels and Hormone Balance - January 31st, 2023
- How to Battle Fatigue - December 29th, 2022
- What You Need To Know About Intermittent Fasting - December 22nd, 2022
- The Hidden Dangers of Plastic - December 15th, 2022
- The Hype Behind Tongkat Ali for Testosterone - December 11th, 2022
- Eating right = super heath and extended longevity! - December 6th, 2022
- Could Low-T Make It Harder to Hold a Job? - November 23rd, 2022
- CJC-1295: What you need to know - November 16th, 2022
- Getting Sex Drives in Sync for a Vibrant Relationship - November 8th, 2022
- Varicoceles and Testosterone Levels: What You Need to Know - October 19th, 2022
- Can Testosterone Improve Memory for Diabetic Men? - October 4th, 2022
- Will the Doctors at Your Clinic Write Me an HGH Prescription? - September 16th, 2022
- Tlando—An Oral Alternative for Testosterone Deficiency - September 8th, 2022
- How to Detect HGH Scams - August 12th, 2022
- Getting Fit for Testosterone Therapy - July 12th, 2022
- Using Food to Improve Your Mood - How Diet and Mental Health Are Related - June 14th, 2022
- Testimonial: How HGH Replacement Therapy Turned a Man’s Life Around - February 10th, 2022
- Peptides: Another Option in the Battle Against Weight Gain - January 21st, 2022
- How Hormone Imbalance Contributes to Weight Gain - December 16th, 2021
- Zomacton Therapy for Relief from HGH Deficiency - November 29th, 2021
- Avoid Hormone Imbalance and Ward Off Fatigue and Exhaustion This Winter - November 10th, 2021
- Ten Signs You May Be Suffering from Low-T (or HGH Deficiency)! - October 6th, 2021
- Tesamorelin Therapy Helps Patients Lose Weight and Boost Growth Hormone Levels - September 9th, 2021
- Study Tracks Diabetic Low-T Patients for Twelve Years - August 9th, 2021
- Hormone Replacement Therapy: If You Do It Right, It’s Like a Miracle - July 13th, 2021
- Preserving and Restoring Hormone Balance for Improved Health and Wellness - July 10th, 2021
- Eating Too Much Junk Food Slashes Sperm Count and Trashes Testosterone Levels - June 10th, 2021
- Male Menopause - Changes in Hormone Balance Alter Men's Lives - June 3rd, 2021
- Arkansas HGH Injections Clinics - May 30th, 2021
- Arizona HGH Injections Clinics - May 28th, 2021
- Watch Out for Signs of Testosterone Imbalance - May 27th, 2021
- Treating Covid-19 Patients with Thyroid Hormone Therapy - May 25th, 2021
- Alaska HGH Injections Clinics - May 24th, 2021
- Alabama HGH Injections Clinics - May 19th, 2021
- HGH Injections in Sacramento, California - May 18th, 2021
- Omnitrope Therapy for the Treatment of Hypopituitarism and HGH Deficiency - May 13th, 2021
- The Importance of Balanced Growth Hormone and Insulin Levels - May 8th, 2021
- California HGH Injections Clinics - May 5th, 2021
- Massachusetts HGH Injections Clinics - May 3rd, 2021
- Virginia HGH Injections Clinics - May 2nd, 2021
- Pennsylvania HGH Injections Clinics - May 1st, 2021
- Is Eight Glasses of Water Per Day Really Necessary? - April 29th, 2021
- Florida HGH Injections Clinics - April 27th, 2021
- Norditropin Injections for the Treatment of HGH Deficiency - April 14th, 2021
- Seriously, You Might Need More Fiber - April 13th, 2021
- Four Common Nutrient Deficiencies Among Americans - April 11th, 2021
- New Study Demonstrates How Stress Hormones Contribute to Hair Loss - April 9th, 2021
- Montana HGH Injections Clinics - April 8th, 2021
- Streamline Your Strength Training to Improve Hormone Balance and Gains - March 23rd, 2021
- The Effects of Sedentary Lifestyle on Health and Hormone Balance in Men - March 19th, 2021
- Rhode Island HGH Injections Clinics - March 13th, 2021
- Diabetes Treatment Semaglutide Helps Obese Patients Lose Weight - March 12th, 2021
- Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism—Leading Cause of Thyroid Disorders - March 10th, 2021
- Experimenting with Leptin (The Hunger Hormone) in Rats - March 9th, 2021
- The Influence of the Thyroid Gland on Body Fat - March 5th, 2021
- Texas HGH Injections Clinics - March 3rd, 2021
- New Study Hints at Body's Ability to Re-Calibrate Biological Age - March 1st, 2021
- Colorado HGH Injections Clinics - February 28th, 2021
- HGH Therapy May Boost Immune Health in Aging and Vulnerable Populations - February 27th, 2021
- Exercise Rehab Improves Strength and Endurance Outcomes in Stroke Patients - February 26th, 2021
- Vitamin D and Covid-19—The Effects of Indoor Living on Immunity - February 23rd, 2021
- Breakthrough Gene Therapies May Help Humans Live Longer, Healthier Lives - February 17th, 2021
- New Hampshire HGH Injections Clinics - February 13th, 2021
- Minnesota HGH Injections Clinics - February 12th, 2021
- Prescription Human Growth Hormone Injections in San Francisco, California - February 5th, 2021
- Evidence Suggests Intermittent Fasting Could Improve Cognitive Function - February 3rd, 2021
- Nebraska HGH Injections Clinics - January 9th, 2021
- Wyoming HGH Injections Clinics - January 8th, 2021
- New York HGH Injections Clinics - January 6th, 2021
- Missouri HGH Injections Clinics - January 4th, 2021
- Ohio HGH Injections Clinics - January 3rd, 2021
- North Dakota HGH Injections Clinics - January 1st, 2021
- Washington D.C. HGH Injections Clinics - December 31st, 2020
- Wisconsin HGH Injections Clinics - December 29th, 2020
- Mississippi HGH Injections Clinics - December 29th, 2020
- West Virginia HGH Injections Clinics - December 26th, 2020
- Vermont HGH Injections Clinics - December 23rd, 2020
- Utah HGH Injections Clinics - December 22nd, 2020
- New Mexico HGH Injections Clinics - December 21st, 2020
- North Carolina HGH Injections Clinics - December 20th, 2020
List of USA state clinics - click a flag below for blood testing clinics.
Word Count: 476