Yes, COVID is still an issue in May of 2021 – especially if you are a male with low testosterone.
The coronavirus pandemic has affected the lives of nearly everyone on the planet (except, perhaps, the off-grid folks or hermits of the woods) and recent studies are telling us that men with low testosterone levels are more at risk for developing severe COVID-19 symptoms and/or complications.
What is unfortunate about this news is that there has been a trend of decreasing levels of testosterone in men – and not just in older men, but men in their 20s and 30s too (That is a topic for another article, however).
Low-T Linked to Increased Risk of Severe COVID-19 in Men
A recent study, published in the journal JAMA Network Open, found that low testosterone levels in men are linked to severe COVID risk in men, but it was not proven that low testosterone is the cause of severe COVID-19. The researchers concluded that low testosterone levels could help us in the way of a biomarker of other causal factors.
Typically, when testosterone levels are low in men, estrogen levels are higher. This leads to adverse effects in men, including weight gain, muscle loss, and depression, just to name a few.
Estrogen is the “female hormone” that is mainly responsible for developing and regulating the female reproductive system, such as menstruation and pregnancy.
The researchers from the Washington University School of Medicine advise that caution should be taken in the ongoing clinical trials that are looking at hormone therapies for treating men with COVID-19, including the blockage or lowering of testosterone and/or increasing of estrogen.
Higher Levels of Testosterone a Good Thing When Battling COVID
Professor of Medicine and study author, Abhinav Diwan, stated, “During the pandemic, there has been a prevailing notion that testosterone is bad.
But we found the opposite in men...If a man had low testosterone when he first came to the hospital, his risk of having severe COVID-19 was much higher compared with men who had more circulating testosterone.”
If a man’s testosterone drops even lower while in the hospital fighting the coronavirus, the risk of severe symptoms increases. During the course of the study, the researchers recorded data on several hormones taken from 90 men and 62 women demonstrating symptoms of COVID-19 with a confirmation of diagnosis.
Blood samples for the hormones were taken upon initial intake at the hospital, as well on days 3, 7, 14, and 28 if the patient stayed that long in the hospital. Besides testosterone, the researchers also measured estradiol and IGF-1.
Estradiol is a form of estrogen that is naturally produced by the body and insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) is a hormone that is similar to insulin. It helps us to maintain muscle mass.
Low Testosterone Has No Effect on Women With COVID-19
The women in the study had no correlation between levels of any of the hormones tested and the severity of the coronavirus. With the men, only testosterone was linked to infection severity.
In the medical world, 250 nanograms(ng) per deciliter (dL) of testosterone is considered “low” testosterone in adult men. When men were admitted to the hospital with severe symptoms, the average testosterone levels were around 53 ng/dL. The men who demonstrated less severe symptoms had average levels of 151 ng/dL.
The Lower the Testosterone Levels, the Worse the Disease
At day three, the average testosterone level of the severely ill men was just 19 ng/dL. The lower the testosterone, the worse the disease. What this means in terms of medical care was that the “low testosterone” men were at the highest risk of needing a ventilator, intensive care, or death. In fact, thirty-seven patients (out of which 25 were men) died from the illness over the course of the study, unfortunately.
In addition, other factors that are known to increase the risk of severe COVID-19 symptoms, such as increased age, diabetes, and obesity are also linked to low testosterone.
Study author, Sandeep Dhindsa, endocrinologist, stated, “The groups of men who were getting sicker were known to have lower testosterone across the board.”
Dhindsa also said, “We also found that those men with COVID-19 who were not severely ill initially, but had low testosterone levels, were likely to need intensive care or intubation over the next two or three days.”
He believes that low testosterone levels demonstrate a predictive aspect in terms of which patients will be likely to become severely ill in the next couple of days after hospital admission.
- Hormone Therapy May Help Post-Menopausal Women Postpone Onset of Atherosclerosis - May 23rd, 2021
- Joe Rogan -- Palumboism Due to Hormone Abuse? - May 22nd, 2021
- Increased Belly Fat? Blame it on Your Hormones! - May 21st, 2021
- Human Growth Hormone and Cell Regeneration - May 20th, 2021
- Stop Premature Aging Dead in its Tracks with Growth Hormone! - May 14th, 2021
- Anti-Aging News: HGH Shown to Reverse Aging in New Study! - May 4th, 2021
- Anti-Aging HGH Research of Growth Hormone Injections - April 24th, 2021
- Testosterone Levels Main Determining Factor Behind Fracture Risk in Older Men - April 23rd, 2021
- Growth Hormone Leads to Liver Regeneration and helps support healing post surgery. - March 5th, 2021
- Ascendis Pharma Given the Go-Ahead by FDA to Develop Long-Acting HGH Treatment - March 4th, 2021
- Early Exposure to BPAs Can Cause Serious Damage Later in Life for Elderly Men - March 2nd, 2021
- COVID-19 Global Pandemic: Boosting Your Immune Defense with Growth Hormone - February 24th, 2021
- Zap The Ugly Fat With Human Growth Hormone - February 20th, 2021
- Buying HGH Legally. Is HGH legal in the United States ? - February 18th, 2021
- Basic Human Growth Hormone Information - February 11th, 2021
- An Introduction to the Lymphatic System - February 6th, 2021
- How to Blast Off Your Growth Hormone Therapy with Powerful Nutrition- HGH Injection - February 4th, 2021
- Human Growth Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men - January 29th, 2021
- Human Growth Hormone for Body Sculpting - January 27th, 2021
- Starting Your HGH Therapy Program - January 26th, 2021
- Personal Human Growth Hormone HGH Testimonial - January 18th, 2021
- 34 Good Health Tips to Improve Your Health and Wellness - January 17th, 2021
- How HGH and Testosterone Can Make a Huge Difference in Your Life - January 11th, 2021
- Restore Your Vitality with Human Growth Hormone HRT - January 10th, 2021
- HGH Injections: A New Revolution in Longevity, Health, Medicine, and Life Quality -- HGH Injection - November 10th, 2020
- Live Consciously and Live Better - November 4th, 2020
List of USA state clinics - click a flag below for blood testing clinics.
Word Count: 750